Friday, July 21, 2006

Super Z

This past Wednesday night I went to see Superman Returns with my almost-4-year-old nephew Z.

First we loaded up his cool Spiderman backpack with candy and bottled water, so we wouldn't have to shell out big cash at the theater. (Don't want security to get suspicious. Mr. Pibb and Red Vines equals Crazy Delicious...)

As we were leaving my little niece Caz kept repeating something, and Kim interpreted it as "I want to go with you." So we had a heart wrenching little scene where we had to desert my sweet baby. But she's not quite old enough for a movie.

As expected, the theater wasn't very crowded on a Wednesday night; we climbed to the top of the stadium seating and sat in the middle of the row. The previews started, and Z got a little confused with the plot. He kept asking me "What's happening?" and I told him "Just another commercial for a different movie."

Finally, after about 20 million previews, the studio plug, the producer plug, the sound system demonstration, the turn-off-your-cell-phone ad, etc., etc., the movie started. Z did pretty well for about half the movie, but then he started getting antsy. I think he was just bored since he didn't understand the plot enough to know what was going on. I tried to explain what was happening but I must not have been very effective.

After we ate all the candy and he didn't have anything else to do, he said the dreaded words... "I have to go potty." So we climbed over everyone and ran to the bathroom. I kicked over some poor guy's popcorn on the way out. After we got back Z was good for a few more minutes, but then he got bored again. "I want some popcorn." So we climbed over everyone again and went and bought some popcorn. Then five minutes after we got back... "I have to go potty."

At that point I gave up on the movie, so after visiting the potty again we played a few video games and then headed out. AMC was kind enough to give me a free pass so I could come back and see the end sometime.

We walked by Cold Stone on the way out, so we decided to get some ice cream. Z chose Reeces for his "mix in," but then after we got it he decided he didn't like it. That was OK because I didn't mind finishing it off. We tried again and this time he chose "the blue one" which was cotton candy. We took it to go, and he ended up not wanting that one either when we got home, but Hyrum and Kim pitched in and finished it off.

In the future I think I'll stick with Pixar movies for kids under age 5, but it was fun times nonetheless.

No comments: