Saturday, July 29, 2006

A Tragic Day (Pronounced in a high pitched voice like in Babe The Pig)

For many years, I have had an infinite number of email addresses. For the domain names that I manage, I have generally used a "catch-all" email address, meaning that any email that wasn't assigned to someone else would go to me. Certain people have had fun with this and used email addresses such as NateIsTheCoolestManAlive@lc.com or NateMustDie@lc.com.

However, those happy times are behind us now. Due to the ever increasing flood of spam, I can no longer handle all the email that goes into the catch-all's net. I do have a good spam filter, but spammers send to hundreds and thousands of made up email addresses (e.g. 1@lc.com, 2@lc.com, 3@lc.com, etc.) in the hopes of guessing valid ones. With the catch-all in place, all of them go to me. So even if only .1% of spams are getting through, it's still too many to deal with.

This was a tough decision to make, because I've been haphazardly making up and using different random email addresses here and there over the years, such as amazon.com@lc.com. This allowed me to see who was selling my info, and it was also just a nice convenience. Now a lot of those emails will no longer get through. But unfortunately that is a price that has to be paid to cut down on all the stinking spam.

I know you were probably on the verge of sending an email address to NateShouldRunForPresident@lc.com or possibly IDesperatelyWantToGoOnADateWithNate@lc.com, but it was not to be. To quote Milli Vanilli, "It's a tragedy for me to see, the dream is over."


2 comments:

Tara Kay said...

I haven't received a blow like this in quite some time!

Anonymous said...

I was looking for a current email address but alas, none to be found.

Regarding your Life Itinerary. I have calculated that, in fact, you should say you are from Virginia since you spent the longest period there (8 years), in comparison to only 6 years 7 months in Missouri.

I, on the other hand, have far too much free time to be sitting here figuring out the sum of your residency report.