Thursday, May 04, 2006

Who is this Boris Diaw?

I've been in Arizona seven years now, and I've become a fan of the Phoenix Suns. I don't think I'll ever learn to love ASU, but I have grown to like the Suns. They have a quality group of guys, a great coach, and they're fun to watch. (And of course, Shawn Marion and I are tight!)

I was watching game 6 of the Suns / LA Lakers playoff series with a group of rabid Suns fans Thursday night. (The Lakers were up 3 to 2 in the series, so a win would have clinched the series for them.) The Suns were down 3 with 6 seconds to go, the Lakers were about to start their celebration, when Tim Thomas hit a big 3 pointer to send the game to overtime. And then who would score 6 crucial points at the beginning of overtime to keep the Suns in the game? BORIS DIAW! Who? The NBA's most improved Frenchman came through bigtime. Who even knew they played basketball in France?

Then with about 3 minutes to go in overtime, my friend Dave was fiddling with the remote, and he accidentally shut off the cable system. Not just the TV, but the whole thing. He turned it back on, and it said "booting up" and then did nothing. No one knew how to get it working. There was dead silence in the room. Someone muttered "I can't believe this is happening." Then after about another minute of everyone trying to help turn the TV back on, someone went and grabbed a radio and turned it on. The Suns were taking it to the Lakers. We finally got the TV back on with about a minute to go, and the Suns up 9. Despite a couple more lucky shots by Kobe, the Suns held on for the win. Pandemonium ensued. Game 7 in Phoenix on Saturday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm French and so i would say that Boris is a very great player and I hope in the future he will be All Star and he will win NBA championship. Personnaly I think he is even better than TP. So now we have a beautiful team and we hope a good result during the world championship in Japan!! GO FRANCE!!