Saturday, May 06, 2006

Improv Everywhere

I only really follow two websites, espn.com for sports, and digg.com for tech news. Yesterday on digg I noticed an article about Best Buy being invaded by improv artists. I glanced at the article, and it quickly led me to the Improv Everywhere website.

I am not that easily impressed by anything on the Internet, but I found Improv Everywhere to be fascinating and hilarious. It's a little hard to describe without seeing the site yourself, but they describe themselves as a group that "causes scenes of chaos and joy in public places." I know that sounds a little weird, but the missions are just plain cool.

A few favorites:
  1. The hypnotist -- a phony hypnotist and assistant hypnotize a bunch of people in a park, and then flee the scene, leaving the people in their hypnotized state (kind of like in Office Space).
  2. The time warp -- a group of people go through a series of intricate interactions in a Starbucks, and then repeat the exact same actions over and over in a loop.
  3. U2 on the rooftop -- A phony U2 plays an impromptu concert on a rooftop (with a Korean-American as "The Edge." :)
Great, amazing stuff. I can't believe it's been going on since 2001 and this is the first I've heard of it.

No comments: