Thursday, March 23, 2006

Shawn Marion at the car wash!

I've been meaning to start a blog for a while, and today seemed like a good "journal entry day."

After dropping my roommate off at the airport this morning, I went to Danny's Car Wash. (I had a voucher for a free car wash, since my company, DineSmart, has been doing some advertising trade with Danny's.) As I was in line at the carwash, I heard some old guy behind me say "So, are you guys going to take 'em tonight?" and I looked back, and he was talking to Shawn Marion!

I didn't say anything at that point, but when I went out to the parking lot (where they dry the cars) to pick up my car, there was Shawn again, so I sat down by him. I made some small talk, and then said, "So how's Amare doing?" At that point I think he might have grimaced a little, as in "Hey I'm an All Star, I'm CARRYING this team, stop asking about Amare!" But then he answered "He's coming back tonight." I said, "Wow, I guess I should read the paper. That's big!" Shawn sort of shrugged.

So then we sat there for a minute or two. Everyone that walked by would say hello to Shawn or nod or wave or smile shyly. I felt like I was sitting by Vito Corleone in the Godfather with everyone coming to kiss his hand. So I said "Shawn, let me ask you, does it ever get old having everyone recognize you everywhere you go?" He said "Hey, if I didn't want to be recognized I should have gone into something besides basketball." I said, "Yeah, or you shouldn't have been so good at it." He nodded, and went on to talk about how it's all good and positive to have people like you, but sometimes you don't want to be bothered, but if you come to a public place like a carwash without bodyguards or anyone to provide a buffer zone, then you have to expect people to talk to you and be cool with it.

Then one of the car wash minions came over and gave Shawn a quick bow to indicate that his car was ready. (For everyone else, they yell out something unintelligible from across the parking lot, but NBA players get a little special treatment, even at a car wash). Shawn said something like, "Hey, later man" and was gone.

So there you go. Shawn Marion -- nice guy, clean car. Go Suns.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nate!!!
It was really kind of you to remember to send me you blog address!Thanx!
I guess I´ll be dropping by from time to time just to know what you´re up to! Good luck with the blog!

And whenever you feel like melting, just come to Brazil again! ehehehehe!You know you and kelly will always have a place to stay!

Lots of Love!