Friday, September 26, 2008

Kid shot after robbing my rental house

I got a call on Wednesday from a tenant who lives in a rental house that I own in Glendale. She had come home from work early to find a burglar in the house! The burglar had broken in by breaking a bedroom window. She said she tried the door but it wouldn't open. When she called I thought she was talking about the front door but thinking about it later, she might have been referring to the door to the bedroom where he had broken in, because he apparently left out the window and fled.

So she called 911, and the cops came. She said they were there within 1 minute! They searched the area and found the burglar! Or at least they found someone suspicious. The suspect pulled a weapon on the officers, and they opened fire. The poor kid died in the hospital from the gunshot wounds.

When I got the call, the news was already on the front page of azcentral, with a video interview of one of the officers. After seeing the news reports I was a little concerned that they weren't revealing what kind of "weapon" the kid had pulled on the officers. Did he just pull out a wrench and get shot for it? Then today an article came out claiming that he had had a semi-automatic handgun. Hopefully they aren't just making that up as an excuse for the shooting.

The articles also made it sound like the tenant "confronted" the burglar, so I'm not really sure what went down in the house. The only thing that's clear is that he broke in through a window and eventually ran away after she came home.

Fun times in landlording! Think twice before you buy a rental in the hood. Actually this house isn't even in the hood, but it kind of borders it.

The window cost me $200, plus I'm going to be installing an alarm system in the house. Not too rough of a deal for me. I just feel bad for the tenant and worse for the kid.

9 comments:

Ben said...

Wow that's crazy.

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark said...

That's sad. It does make you wonder why they wouldn't mention the gun in the first articles. And it also makes you wonder how the tenant could have confronted him if he had a gun.
But at least your police showed up at the scene. I hear Mexican police drop by 3 hours later . . . as long as they are not involved with the criminals and there is no danger to them.

Kristin Coppee said...

Wow! Our ward just held a meeting on how to stay safe because we've had kids burglarizing our homes and we live in a nice, quiet Mesa neighborhood. It's scary out there. I think I'm gonna have metal shields installed over the doors and windows and never leave again...and then eventually I might change my name to Ted Kaczinski and....okay, maybe not.

Anonymous said...

Funny blog...about nothing! Ha, ha, ha!

I can believe that break in? My apartment got broken into when I was in living in Tempe, and when they caught the guy he had a sawed off shot gun in his car! Yikes. I am glad we were didn't catch him in the act!

Anonymous said...

Holy Shmack...I just came to see if anyone posted a comment after mine on this post and read my comment...I guess I should have proof read before I hit publish. Geez!!! I really am literate and can type. Promise. "There hers goes again..."

Jotham and I have a blog, not the one you can view here by clicking my name. You can access the username and password, via my facebook page. Just some ramblings about everyday life, really.

Anonymous said...

The young man that was shot was part of my family, very quiet cute kid... I'm not sure what happened I was not there and can't place judgment on anyone involved. None the less I just wanted to thank you for your empathy and neutrality. Innocent or guilty his death has devastated many people. His family has suffered so many losses, his mother was murdered when he was about 13, then of course his death and just recently his younger sister tragically passed away.

Xavier said...

Now a days there has been increase in no.of home robbery cases.There has to be some security measures for house.Well,can U suggest me the names of real estate agents that has great deals for Glendale Apartments For Rent?

public sex positions said...

I think I'm gonna have metal shields installed over the doors and windows