Monday, January 07, 2008

Sonhos

Caetano Veloso has amazingly poetic and beautiful lyrics... in Portuguese. I tried translating some to English but it didn't quite have the same feel.

Sonhos (Dreams)

Tudo era apenas uma brincadeira
Everything used to be just a joke

E foi crescendo, crescendo, me absorvendo
But it started growing, growing, absorbing me

E de repente eu me vi assim completamente seu
And all of a sudden I realized that I was completely yours

Vi a minha força amarrada no seu passo
I saw my strength tied to your step

Vi que sem você não há caminho, eu não me acho
I saw that without you there is no way to find myself

Vi um grande amor gritar dentro de mim como eu sonhei um dia
I saw a great love yell inside me as I dreamed one day

Quando o meu mundo era mais mundo
When my world was greater (??)

E todo mundo admitia
And everyone admitted

Uma mudança muito estranha
A very strange change

Mais pureza, mais carinho, mais calma, mais alegria
More purity, more caring, more calm, More joy

No meu jeito de me dar
In my way of being

Quando a canção se fez mais clara e mais sentida
When the song became more clear and more intense

Quando a poesia realmente fez folia em minha vida
When poetry really caused a wild party in my life

Você veio me falar dessa paixão inesperada por outra pessoa
You came to talk to me about this unexpected passion for someone else

Mas não tem revolta não
But don't be bothered

Eu só quero que você se encontre
I only want you to find yourself

Saudade até que é bom
Nostalgia can actually be good

É melhor que caminhar vazio
It is better than being empty

A esperança é um dom
Hope is a gift

Que eu tenho em mim
that I have in me

Eu tenho sim
Yes I do

Não tem desespero não
Do not lose hope

Você me ensinou milhões de coisas
You taught me millions of things

Tenho um sonho em minhas mãos
I have a dream in my hands

Amanhã será um novo dia
Tomorrow will be a new day

Certamente eu vou ser mais feliz
I will definitely be happier

3 comments:

Amy Mason said...

It's a pretty song, Nathaniel. : )

Nate Tanner said...

I'm not really sure what this line is trying to say:
"Você veio me falar dessa paixão inesperada por outra pessoa."

Is the outra pessa (other person) HIM (the singer)? Or someone else?

If any native speakers ever read this please weigh in!

Ben said...

I didn't know you read Portuguese poetry these days.