Thursday, January 07, 2010

Why Won't Firefox Remember My Username?

I was about to get a little bit miffed, but I finally figured out why firefox wouldn't remember (auto-complete) my username on a couple of sites that I use constantly. Turns out that if you have more than one username saved for a given site, then firefox doesn't know which one to fill in, so it doesn't fill in anything. That doesn't explain why it wouldn't do the normal auto-complete (after I typed a few letters of the username I wanted and then hit the down arrow), but it's good enough that I can stop gnashing my teeth for the moment. To get rid of the unwanted usernames, go to Tools -> Options -> Security -> Saved Passwords, and then find the username you don't want and delete it.

PS... Boise State is the national champ! Not only do I not recognize the BCS "champion", but I disqualify them from consideration for taking part in that tainted monopolistic nonsense! On another note, I can't believe Colt McCoy got knocked out and cost me my College Bowl Mania championship!

5 comments:

Ben said...

Good points, good points. And that sure stank for you to lose McCoy so quickly on a fluky play. Luckily, your misfortune was enough that I didn't get last and lose to Annie.

Unknown said...

well, same problem here, I want Firefox to autocomplete my usernames only, that'd be a very cool feature
If you have some suggestion, please inform me to hmarques [DOT] alq [AT] gmail [DOT] com

Matthew Tanner said...

I was rooting for Texas after McCoy went out. It also helped that I was watching with some girls from Texas.

cavendar said...

If you double click in an input field, Firefox will show you a scrollable list of all inputs saved that match that input field. It should also show any of those saved values that match whatever you type in the field after you type 2 or 3 characters.

Some websites intentionally disable auto completion on sensitive input fields. Wellsfargo.com is an example. Also, Firefox has a bug where it won't show any saved inputs if you get to the page by closing tabs in certain patterns. Lastly, Firefox only saves inputs if you tell it to, so if you forget to respond when it prompts you about saving the input, it won't be there.

@Helder Marques Not sure what exactly you're looking for. Firefox's auto complete is pretty generic. If you only want it to save "usernames" then only tell it to remember your usernames. Also, remove any that you don't want it to auto complete any more from the saved passwords list. However there's a million and 1 addons out there, I'm sure with some small effort you could find one that's configurable to your needs.

PS American Football ==

Danni T said...

I could not get google to remember my password in firefox, so i fiddled around with firefox a bit and discovered... That if you are in private browsing mode Gmail will not ask if you want your password remembered. Take your browser out of private browsing mode and then you will be asked if you want your password remembered. THEN you can re-enable private browsing mode and your password will foll in automatically. Hope this helps =)