Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Under Armour Review

I've been meaning to buy some Under Armour for a while, and I finally got around to it last week. I checked it out at the mall first, and thought "Ouch, $65 for an under shirt!" Then I looked online, and really didn't find anything too much cheaper. I ended up getting this long sleeve shirt on ebay for $49 including shipping.

What's so great about Under Armour? It's supposed to be "sweat-shedding performance apparel" that will "wick" perspiration away from the skin to an outer layer where it will evaporate.

The reason I wanted to try Under Armour is for playing ultimate in the cold. Usually when it's cold out I wear a cotton T-shirt and a sweat shirt over that. It keeps me warm, but then I get sweaty, and then the sweat gets cold, and then I don't want to move because movement causes the cold sweaty shirt to come into contact with my back. Cold. Sweaty. Uncomfortable. I hope that was a graphic enough description for you. Anyway, it's a little hard to play ultimate without moving, so I wanted to see if Under Armour would solve all my cold sweatiness problems.

When I was at the mall looking at expensive Under Armour I also bought a Reebok T-shirt labeled "Play Dry". It looked like something similar to Under Armour and it only cost $10 so I figured why not give it a try. It was made out of 100% polyester, but it felt kind of like cotton, which was interesting. But the "Play Dry" should have been "Play Dry as long as you don't sweat at all". That thing absorbed sweat worse than a cotton T-shirt. No wicking. Completely useless. But it only cost $10 so oh well, add it to the collection.

Anyway, back to the Under Armour. I just got it in the mail a few days ago, and tonight was the first night it was cold enough to try it out. 50 degrees. Yes that's cold here in Phoenix. I was kind of excited to try it out. We played for about an hour and fifteen minutes, so enough time to be a good test, and the Under Armour definitely came through! It didn't magically "wick" ALL the sweat away, it still got damp, but somehow it never got cold damp. I'm not really certain if it worked because it was wicking sweat away. It may have helped that it fit a little more snugly than most of my T-shirts. But anyway, it worked, I'm sold.

The Under Armour is made of 95% polyester and 5% elastane, aka spandex. So I guess the magic is in the elastane. Or possibly the way the fabric is put together, who knows. I don't know why it works, and I don't really understand their weird commercials, but I do recommend the Under Armour product.

5 comments:

Ben said...

That sounds pretty useful. I'm going to the store right now. Not really. But I'll probably buy one eventually. Because, among other reasons......WE MUST PROTECT DIS HAWSE!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

My son's soccer club (WHSA) purchased Under Armour soccer uniforms and frankly, they are terrible. Skip the fact that the socks have no padding or absorption of any kind are are more like dress socks, and that the shorts are like basketball shorts and hang over the knees, but the real issue is that the jersey (two months old) has snags and pulls all over! Bad fit, bad style, and really poor quality. Too much focus on stars to promote name and not enough quality control (or too much made in China - same thing). Personally, I will not buy anything Under Armour...and you should probably skip it too.

Beware.

Anonymous said...

I purchased UA skull caps online after chatting with an online salesman who swore that one size fits all, even though I told him I had a 7 3/4 bowling ball for a head.

The caps arrived and after I wrestled them on, they kept popping off, I got a headache after just two minutes. Seriously.

These are definitely not the caps to buy if you have a big noggin. Save your money.

To make them work, I had to tear the headband. Not my best hour.

Mary Ann said...

You wrote your blog in late 2009. It is now late 2011.

I have several pieces of Under Armour clothing. Tights (to the knees) and Long-sleeved t-shirts, for warmth.

Awesome clothing three years ago. If I wore my women's Large T on my Small frame, it was as tight as a wet suit and difficult to get into. But that was a good thing. The terrific, soft lining kept all of my body heat inside. If I wore a man's large top, it just hung loose but did nothing special, which was okay. It looked good.

All of my panties have also been UA, and this stuff was so well-made it may never wear out.

My Tights were classy for an athletic body; form fitting without being too thin.

So, now it's October 2011 and I needed a new batch of clothes as mine were starting to stretch a bit after so many washings over the years. I ordered over $500 for new Tights, T's, Undies, Long Pants, etc.

What a SHOCKER!! Under Armour has hit bottom. The clothing was junk while charging the same prices. Everything was made in Bangladesh, Peru, Honduras or China. The material was so thin it felt like clothing from a place where I wouldn't shop. Short crotch, low waist, thin material, strange fit. Well, I can't say enough other than you've got to try it and compare today's Under Armor clothing to what you bought in '08 or '09. Maybe you'll have some luck??? but I doubt it. I returned everything!

My husband heard me telling this story to a friend in a phone conversation. Two days later he learned that Under Armour went public on the stock market. Now that their interests lie in pleasing investors rather than consumers, that explains it. Time to look for a new supplier. UA will be hard to beat, as we all felt . . . they were the best.

What a Shame!!!

Mary Ann

Jordan said...

Under Armour is a good quality name brand that many people enjoy wearing. More times than not Under Armour satisfies their customers with their products, having a great selection of clothing and apparel. Personally, I order a lot of clothing through Under Armour. Their pricing varies depending on if you’re looking into, Under Armour storm or just casual wear. Buying the Under Armour storm may seem like it’s a bit high of a price but really you’re getting what you paid for; it’s worth the price. Now their casual wear can be a little to high of a price, for example their t-shirts with not much on them. There maybe a little Under Armour symbol on it it isn’t really worth the price being asked. They definitely sell more Under Armour storm clothing then they do casual wear. I have now had a few Under Armour clothing items, such as sweat pants and Under Armour storm sweatshirts. Those have lasted me a long time. I wear them frequently and in the time I’ve had them I haven’t had any rips or tears. The regular under armour t-shirts that I do have and know people who also have them are complaining about the symbol falling off. After paying between $35.00-$40.00 I expect it to last awhile. Overall, besides the symbol on t-shirts falling off I highly recommend Under Armour when buying sports equipment and clothing.