Wednesday, December 06, 2006

First First

Flying back from Detroit on Saturday night on US Airways, the flight wasn't very full, and I managed to sweet talk the ticket agent into upgrading me to first class. It was my first time in first class, so I thought I'd better share my impressions.
  • The seats were quite a bit more comfortable, with more leg room. This was my favorite perk.

  • We got a decent dinner, as well as dessert, all complimentary. (On US Airways you have to pay $5 for any meal now when riding in coach. I'm not sure if it's the same on other airlines.)

  • We got complimentary headphones, instead of being dinged for another $5. I didn't really care about this since I rarely watch the movie, and I wouldn't have bothered paying the $5. But I did watch it this time, since they were showing Invincible, which was on my list of movies to see. Pretty good show, although I'd like to know what the hot blond chick was doing working in the run down bar with all those loud, grungy guys. Why wasn't she in first class on a flight from Detroit to Phoenix where she belonged??

  • The beverages were refilled frequently. The University of Michigan fan next to me had 2 Ginger Ales mixed with some sort of hard liquor, and then about 8 Heinekens. Ever time the attendant came by and asked, "Would you like another Heineken?" he said "Sure!" I figured he'd pass out by the end of the flight, but he seemed fine. I had several apple juices.

  • Being the first to get on and off the flight was kind of cool but not a huge deal.
Overall, it was a pleasant experience. It was nice to be treated like you're someone special. But at the same time it made me a little uncomfortable. I'm too used to being back in couch with the huddled masses. It still boggles my mind a little that people will drop an extra grand (or 3 or 5) for a couple (or 4) hours of comfort. I guess if you've got it to burn... The most I can see myself paying is about $50, for the bigger seat, so I'll probably be back in coach with the rest of the poor saps next time.

No comments: