Monday, August 28, 2006

Snide Remarks, for free

Back in "the day" (college) I used to read a column called Snide Remarks, which was published in the BYU paper, and written by Eric D. Snider (Get it? Snider? Snide Remarks??). Funny stuff. Then I graduated and forgot all about it.

I hadn't heard or thought about good ol' Eric D. in a few years, till I ran across his book, also called Snide Remarks, at Hyrum's house a couple months back. I read through it and it brought back fond memories of the Titanic Parody and Police Beat, among others.

Then a day or two later, by complete coincidence, I was reading a movie review that happened to be written by none other than Eric himself. So I shot him a quick email to see what was happening, and he was kind enough to respond.

Here's an excerpt from my email:

"...just wanted to say that I still find the snide remarks columns very funny despite a few years going by. I still love the references such as "the Stephen E. Robinson & Gerald N. Lund Building for People That Everyone Thinks Are General Authorities Because They Write a Lot of Books" and "the J. Golden Kimball Center for Religious Swearing." And the letter to the editor column is classic material."

And from his response:

"...and those ones you quoted are two of my old favorites, too. Sometimes I think I'll never be that funny again...."

Anyway, here's the point of all this: Snide Remarks was originally free, but after Eric became a freelancer, he started charging for it. But, as of a few days ago, Snide Remarks is free once again to the general public. (Hallelujah, amen!)

From the column:

"So I finally did some weighing and balancing. I could make X dollars a month and have Y readers, or I could make zero dollars a month and have potentially thousands and thousands of readers. I ultimately decided it was better in the long run to have more exposure, even if it meant making nothing from "Snide Remarks." And so on Aug. 23, two days after this column appeared, we officially liberated "Snide Remarks." It was a lot like when Paris was liberated at the end of World War II, but without the stench of Nazis everywhere."

So now you can waste hours of your employer's time perusing humorous material here.

And you can read my favorite column of all time here. Enjoy!

No comments: