The people that know me in the real estate business know that I never lift a hammer on my remodels. I just write the checks. So they would be shocked, SHOCKED, to hear that this morning I actually did some roof repairs on my own house ALL BY MYSELF!!
I had a few shingles blow off the roof in one of the recent haboobs, and I thought it might be fun to try fixing them myself. I know, that doesn't sound like me, but maybe I'm turning over a new leaf or something, who knows. Before starting, I did watch this quick tutorial on removing and putting back roof shingles.
I thought I'd better provide some photo documentation as proof of this once in a lifetime event.
I was thinking of taking a video, but since I was working by myself I couldn't really capture the actual action. I did get a little video of the materials and tools:
Here are some of the damaged shingles:
The brown stuff on the one above was some stuff called Tanglefoot that we put down for pigeons. Originally it went on clear, but after 6 months it turned brown for some reason. I'll get that cleaned off one of these days.
Here's an owl that we put on to scare pigeons away. (Not related to shingle repair.)
Here's a shot of my oddly shaped roof:
Here's a new shingle that I added. I had it lined up perfectly but then after pounding the nails in I noticed it was about 1/4 inch too low. Oh well, still works:
On this one I didn't want to install the whole new shingle because I would have had to remove the ridge cap shingles (the ones on the peak), so I cut the shingle about 2 inches above the visible portion, and then removed 3 nails from the ridge cap shingles, slid the new shingles underneath, and then put in new nails. I made kind of a mess with the tar but it still works:
Conclusion: It was kind of fun and satisfying to do, but SO hot and sweaty. And that was only for a few shingles. I'm very glad I'm not a roofer.